Dragon fruit is a fruit tree of the cactus family that is native to Mexico. In Vietnam, dragon fruit is suitable for the climate and soil of the Mekong Delta, so it has a unique flavor. Currently, Chanh Thu is promoting the export of this fruit through a linkage with 1 growing area certified GlobalGAP and 1 growing area granted US Code. The ripe dragon fruit has red skin, and its flesh has 2 types based on color characteristics: red flesh dragon fruit and white flesh dragon fruit.
Dragon fruit is highly appreciated for its nutritional value. According to a study by Life Hack, one dragon fruit averagely contains about 60 calories, 60 mg of sodium, 8 g of sugar, 2 g of unsaturated fat, and 2 g of protein, as well as vitamins C, B1, B2, and B3, and essential minerals including phosphorus, iron, and calcium. 100 g of dragon fruit provides 21 mg of vitamin C, equivalent to 34% of vitamin C needed per day, and 3 g of fiber, equivalent to 12% of the daily fiber needs. Therefore, dragon fruit is very effective to treat many diseases as follows.
- Aids in digestion: Dragon fruit can also cleanse the digestive system, improve poor digestion, and relieve constipation thanks to its high fiber content.
- Prevention of diabetes: The abundant fiber in dragon fruit can control blood sugar and prevent the risk of diabetes, and work for people with this disease.
- Relief of arthritis: Arthritis is a disease directly affecting and irritating the joints, even paralysis. Eating dragon fruit as a supplement in your daily diet can support anti-inflammation and reduce arthritis.
Some other beauty effects:
- Reduced signs of aging: The antioxidants of dragon fruit reduce the effects of free radicals that damage body cells to give you smooth and youthful skin. You can use a dragon fruit mask combined with honey to prevent skin aging.
- Acne treatment: This fruit is rich in vitamin C, so it can be considered an effective natural topical ointment for acne treatment. You can crush dragon fruit and apply it on acne spots for about 10 minutes, then wash it with water. Do it twice a day to get the best results.
- Treatment of sunburn: By mixing dragon fruit with cucumber and honey, you will have a mixture to soothe sunburned skin. The abundant amount of vitamin B3 in dragon fruit can moisturize the skin, and release heat in the affected skin areas.
- Treatment of minor burns: According to Style Craze, you just need to peel off the skin and spines of the dragon fruit tree, wash it with dilute salt water, pound it to leach, or use residue to apply to the burn for burned area relief.